Sunday, February 12, 2017

Post #1, Welcome to our Blog!

Hello! My name is Wesley Tabor. I am the publisher of this blog that you see here on this page. I am creating this blog for one of my courses that I attend at Washburn University. I was given an assignment to publish and edit my own functional blog. The assignment instructions were broad and stated that the blog could cover any topic that I so desired. It took a while but after about a half hour I recollected on my experience that I recently had at the Capitol Building in Topeka, KS. I vividly remembered myself taking the 296 steps to the top of the outer dome which reaches about 40 stories high! I explicitly remember my tour guide explaining to me that you can see tens to hundreds of miles out on a clear day, which was unfortunate for me as it was foggy on that Friday afternoon. However, this experience that happened to transpire during class was a life saver as I was completely spacing out on a unique idea that compared to the well-thought out one's of my classmates.

In a brief overview, this blog will talk about the beautiful artwork that the Topeka state Capitol Building has to offer its wonderful guests. This will include everything from the statues in the front lawn to the breath taking architecture of the building itself and then slowly we will make our way inside the building to showcase the craftsmanship of the canvas paintings and again, architecture. I will of course provide a brief history of the significance behind these pieces of art (Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How). In addition to this, I am looking forward to utilizing my photography capabilities while also providing wonderful insight about a building that was constructed in the late 1800's and completed in 1903.

Unfortunately, there will be some things in regards to the Capitol Building that I won't be able to cover. This is why I encourage you, my readers, to e-mail me (see bottom of post for instructions on how to e-mail me!). I am completely and 100% open to topics of discussion and ideas that my readers have for me. This isn't just my space for publishing, but it is also your space for reading and I want this blog to be as collaborative and unique as possible! I sure hope that everyone here will enjoy this blog as much as I will! I also promise all of my readers that if I reach and maintain a steady following that I will keep up on this blog for my four year tenure at Washburn University!

Enjoy some photos!







STEPS ON HOW TO E-MAIL ME:
To e-mail me, simply locate the link on the right hand column that is listed as "View my complete profile" and then locate on the left hand side the link that is labeled "email" which is posted under the heading "contact me".

3 comments:

  1. Make sure to leave me comments as well! This is also a great outlet for feedback! I am overwhelmingly interested in your ideas and thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wesley, Great job on the blog! There is some amazing art right at our own State's Capitol building! I hope that you continue on and go inside. The murals inside are definately worth a look -especially the painting of John Brown. Incidentally, my brother has a replica of that very painting over his fireplace. It is a very dramatic piece. --Jody Breitenbach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wesley,
    Your blog is visually stunning. I love the layout, the about me, the background, and all of the pictures you have taken. The writing is also spot on and easily flows. I love that everything you have written is fact checked. It made reading your posts easy in that I didn't feel like I had to fact check anything. In terms of improvement, blow up the pictures bigger if the resolution is good enough. I want to see them more! I like the font for the name of your blog but I'm not sure that it fits the rest of the page. Good work and it has inspired me to work harder on my blog...
    Rachel Eklund

    ReplyDelete